Studying in Korea

홈으로 이동> Studying in Korea > Preparation for admission > Visa application procedures

Visa application procedures

Anyone who wants to study abroad must obtain a student visa from a Korean Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. This can be obtained only after preparing all the required documents to enter Korea, including an admission letter. The type of visa required differs according to what kind of course (Korean language training, regular degree, research, or exchange student) will be taken. For a student visa, applicants (seeking a degree higher than a professional school, research course, or exchange student course will require a D-2 visa) and those studying Korean language at a university language school will need a D-4 Visa (For more information on student visas, please visit the Korea Immigration Service website
(1) Certificate for Confirmation of Visa Issuance
What is certificate for recognition of visa issuance?
Upon request for visa issuance approval by a foreign visa applicant or a Korean national trying to invite a foreigner, the Minister of Justice or the head of the Immigration Office (or the head of the local branch in case of Sejongno/Ulsan/Donghae branch) can do a preliminary inspection on the subject. Should they deem it necessary after the inspection, they may issue a certificate of visa issuance approval (or visa issuance approval number) prior to the actual visa issuance by the head of the overseas consulate.

· A foreigner who intends to enter Korea or a Korean trying to invite a foreigner can apply for a certificate of visa issuance approval to the competent Immigration Office (or its branch office in case of Sejongno/Ulsan/Donghae Branch) along with the required documents for visa issuance.
· Send the certificate of visa issuance approval (or visa issuance approval no.) to the person intending to enter Korea
· Upon receiving the certificate of visa issuance approval (or visa issuance approval no.), the person can obtain a Korean visa by presenting it to the Korean consulate.
※ The certificate of visa issuance approval is valid for 3 months and can only be used for a single visa issuance only.
Eligible subjects of visa issuance approval
· Nationals of countries that lack diplomatic relationship with Korea or otherwise specially designated countries
· Those eligible for Cultural Arts (D-1), Study Abroad(D-2), Industrial training (D-3), General training (D-4), Journalism (D-5), Religious Affairs (D-6), Supervisory Intracompany transfer (D-7), Corporate Investment (D-8), Trade Management (D-9), Professorship (E-1), Foreign language instructor (E-2), Research (E-3), Technological Transfer (E-4), Professional Employment (E-5), Arts & Performance (E-6), Special Occupation (E-7), Internship (E-8), Non-professional Employment (E-9), Vessel Crew (E-10), Family Visitation (F-1), Residential (F-2), Dependent Family (F-3), Overseas Koreans (F-4)& Miscellaneous (G-1) visa status.

Residential (F-2) status is only applicable to the spouse of a Korean national or a holder of permanent residency (F-5) status.
· A person whose necessity is acknowledged by the Minister of Justice

※ Those not eligible for visa issuance approval
· Those with Diplomacy (A-1), Official Business (A-2), Conventions/Agreements (A-3), Visa Waiver (B-1) and Tourist in transit (B-2), Internship (E-8), Permanent Residency (F-5) or Working holiday (H-1) status.
· Those with Residential (F-2) status that are recognized as a refugee, is a large scale investor, have lived in Korea for over 7 years or have lost permanent residency (F-5) status.
(2) Student visa (D-2)
• Eligible Applicants
   · Study and research at educational. academic institutions (community college or higher)
   - A person who wants to study, research or enroll in a full-time program (i.e. Bachelor's, Master, Ph.D.) at academic
   institutions (community college or higher) established under either the Higher Education Act or the Special Act.
• Maximum length of stay
   You are allowed to stay for up to 2 years
• Application Centre
   By principle, you must apply at a Korean diplomatic mission in your country or in a country where your last school is located.
• Required documents:
   ① Visa application form (form #34), photocopy of passport, one standard size photograph, fee
   ② Photocopy of Business Registration Certificate (or distinct number certificate) of a respective education institution
   ③ Standard Acceptance Letter (issued by the dean/president of the university)
   ④ Documents proving your family relations (Only when your parent’s certificate of balance is submitted.)

   21 States
   China, Philippines, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Mongolia, Thailand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Iran, Uzbekistan,
   Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine, Nigeria, Ghana, Egypt, Peru (Total: 21 states)
* Please indicate your English name on the Korean version and enclose a photocopy of your passport.
Examples of Family Relations Certificates
China: Family Relations Registry or notarized document proving family relations, Philippines: Family Census, Indonesia: Certificate of family relations (KARTU KELUARGA), Bangladesh: 점머 까꺼즈 or 점마 싸이드티켓, Vietnam: 호적부 (So Ho Khau) or Birth Certificate
(Giay khai sinh), Mongolia: Certificate of Family Relations, Pakistan: Family Certificate,Sri Lanka: 빠울러 Certificate, Myanmar: Family Relations Certificate (잉타웅수사옌), Nepal: 전마 달다, Kyrgyzstan/Kazakhstan/Uzbekistan/Ukraine/Thailand: Birth Certificate
For a comfortable stay in Korea during the study period, we recommend considering the cost for transportation, study materials, dorm fees and miscellaneous expenses.
Documents for each program Required documents
Associate degree. Bachelor's degree. Master's degree. Ph.D. ⑤ Documents proving the final level of education
⑥ Documents proving your financial ability to support yourself (tuition and living expenses for a year)
Specific Research Program ⑤ Documents proving your final level of education (The minimum education requirement is master's degree)
⑥ Documents proving your living expenses (Bank account balance statement, Research Allowance Confirmation, etc.)
Exchange Student ⑤ Documents proving your living expenses (considering that the tuition is paid in the country of origin)
⑥ Recommendation letter issued by the head of your university in your country
⑦ Documents proving that you are an exchange student (official letter from the inviting university, student exchange agreement between universities)
⑧ Documents proving that you have completed at least one semester (proof of enrollment issued by your university in your country)
※ The Chief of mission may ask additional documents in order to examine the purpose of stay, genuineness of invitation, and qualifications of the inviter and invitee if deemed necessary.
(3) General Trainee (D-4)
• Range of Activities
   · You are eligible to apply if you research, study or train at an educational organization, academic research center,
   private enterprise and other groups that do not fall under D-2 categories. For example, you are
   - A person learning Korean at a university-affiliated language center
   - A person studying at an educational organization or an academic research center that does not fall under D-2 categories
   - A person practicing skills/techniques at a public/private research institute or training center
   - A person who is on-the-job training, researching, or is an intern at a foreign investment company or foreigner-invested company.
• Limit on period of Sojourn:2 years
• Application Location
   - The immigration (Branch) Office having jurisdiction over your new school
   - You can apply online at Korea Visa Portal ( (for a person-in-charge of international students only)
• Required documents:
   ※ Here is the requried documents for Language Trainee (D-4-1).
   ① An application for a visa issuance confirmation (form no. 21), a copy of passport, one standard size photograph, fees
   ② A copy of business registration of the education institute or a photocopy of distinct number card
   ③ Standardized acceptance letter* (issued by the President/Dean of university)
   * You can replace the letter with FIMS information confirmation, or if you are a scholarship student invited by the National Institute for
   International Education, you can substitute the invitation card issued by the head of the Institute for the letter.
   ④ Enrollment letter or duplicate copy of your graduation diploma of your final level of education*
   * The original copy is reviewed in principle, however, if necessary, a duplicate copy can be attached after an official-in-charge compares the
   original copy and a duplicate copy to confirm authenticity.
   ⑤ A document proving your financial ability to support yourself during your stay*
   * If you submit your parent's balance statement, you must submit a family relations certificate as well.
   ※ In principle, documents proving your financial ability must be reviewed through the original copy (e.g. balance statement, bankbook,
   scholarship receipt,
   deposit/withdrawal statement), however, if necessary, a duplicate copy can be attached after an official-in-charge compares the original
   copy and a duplicate
   copy to confirm authenticity (Balance Statement is only accepted when it is issued within the past 30 days).
   ⑥ Training Plan (including the lecture Schedule, list of lecturers, training facility details, etc.)

   ※ The head of the immigration (branch) office may ask additional documents in order to examine the genuineness of invitation and the qualifications of the inviter and invitee.

   ※ For detailed information, please visit the official website of Korea Immigration Service. (
Last modified : 2020-12-16