Home > Studying in Korea > Guide to Living in Korea > Administrative Bodies Supporting Foreign Students
Administrative Bodies Supporting International Students
Alien Registration and Notice of Entry
Alien Registration and Notice of EntryForeign students are required to visit the Immigration Office (www.immigration.go.kr) with jurisdiction over their place of residence in Korea in person and undergo alien registration within 90 days of arrival (It is possible to delegate authority to the person in charge in the university, but in this case, it is necessarily to provide a letter showing power of attorney) Also, students should notify their entry to Korea to their Embassy in Korea.
※ Required documents: Certificate of enrollment (from the university you are enrolled at), valid passport, one passport photo (3cmx4cm), registration fee(10,000 KW), application form.
Notifying Change of Details on Alien Registration Card (ID Card)Where there has been a change in the following details, you must notify these changes to the Immigration Office(www.immigration.go.kr) with jurisdiction over their place of residence in Korea within 14 days; Name, Sex, Date of Birth, and Nationality, Passport Number, Date of Passport Issue, and Validity, Alteration of affiliated institution for student(D-2)or general study (D-4)(including change of the institution's name)
※ Required documents: Valid passport, Alien registration card, application form
Foreigners must carry his/her alien registration card at all times
- When foreigners depart temporarily and reenter, they must obtain permission of reentry either the local Immigration Office before departing or the Immigration Office at the airport or harbor on the day of departure.
Temporary Leave and Re-Entry
- Students who want to leave Korea temporarily must report to the head of his/her educational institution and submit a report form of temporary departure.
- The leave cannot be more than 30 days at a time except to collect data or references for research, to participate in a conference in the student’s area of study, or for other unavoidable reasons. In these cases, the student must get permission from the head of his/her educational institution in advance by submitting valid documents such as an invitation to the conference and his/her advisor’s letter on the matter.
- Students who have left Korea and want to re-enter Korea must get permission in the immigration at departure airport or port with an application form, passport, alien registration, and enrollment certificate or advisor’s letter on the matter.
- The maximum period of leave for single re-entry is a year, and for multiple re-entry is two years.
- Students who re-entered Korea must report his/her re-entry to the school within 3 days of re-entry.
※ Students from Surinam, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Sweden, Swiss, Liechtenstein, France, Finland, and Chile can re-enter ENGea without permission of re-entry during their visa period.