Home > Information for Studying in Korea > Guide to Living in Korea > Housing


photo When you enter a school in Korea, the dormitory is the most convenient place to live in. However, for doctors and people who have favorable circumstances, there are several types of accommodation to select. Universities provide help to students in finding a place to stay and in understanding the contract conditions. Students have to decide where to stay in Korea before leaving their countries. After staying in a place temporarily, you could find a place to stay permanently without restrictions.

Residential Types

Most universities in Korea manage apartments on campus, dormitories, and various residences of this type. There are various types of dormitories: dormitories that only provide rooms; dormitories where you can cook, and dormitories that provide room and food. Among these types you can choose a room for 2 people or for 4 people. There are dormitories that provide food, but there are also dormitories that don't do so. Usually dormitories provide sports facilities, meeting lounges, study rooms, library and computer facilities. The dormitory expenditures differ in regions, types of rooms and the number of persons. Generally, it costs around $100-$200 without food costs.
Boarding House
For people who would like to live in a boarding house, a boarding house provides room and food and receives payment. Most of the boarding houses manage a small scale boarding house. Many students use this type of residence. Usually, students pay monthly, however each boarding house rent differs slightly. Boarding houses provide food, so it can help students to learn the types of food in Korea. The boarding house is popular for young students and short term researchers because it is the best way to familiarize oneself with Korean lifestyle naturally. However, it is hard to keep your privacy in a boarding house, because it is a communal type of residence. There are many boarding houses around the university. You can find information about them on bulletin boards and in advertisements. When you find a room, you can call the landlord first and then visit the house. Before applying for a contract, examine the room first, and ask the owner precise information such as when you can move or if there aren't any special procedures included in the contract.
One Room
Residence culture is changing in Korea. A common type of residence is one room designed for single people. One room includes facilities such as eating, sleeping and cooking facilities. There are two types of payments for one room, one is the lease of a room on a deposit basis and the other is monthly rental plus deposit.
Officetel and Apartment, Accommodation Unit
There are different places to rent while staying in Korea. These include Officetel, apartment, and a house good for one person only. You can rent a house with one room which is good for one person or a house with several rooms which are good for several people. In Korea, there are no special restrictions or conditions in renting a room or a house. However, because of the deposit that should be returned to you after your contract has expired, you should go to a district office to register for protection in relation to the contract lease or rental. You should wait for the approval of the contract because it would serve as your protection when legal problems arise.

Kinds of Lease

A large deposit (“chonse”) is given to a house owner once except for tax. The general condition for a 2-year contract is, after the expiration of the contract, a lessee can receive his/her deposit.
Monthly rental
This is a type of payment where a deposit is given to the house owner as well as payment for the room or house rental every month. Usually this type of payment is suitable for one room, room good for one person only and for people who move frequently.

Ways to Find a House

Place Confirmation
After deciding the type of place in which you want to live, you have to find necessary information from real estate offices, house advertisements in newspapers and other advertisements. Authorized real estate offices and agencies help make a contract for house purchase and house rental with a few charges. Next, find out information about distance and price, structure of the house (bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, veranda) with a friend or agent. You have to check how to keep the house warm because it is cold in Korea in winter. If you use gas to warm your house, it is cheaper and more convenient.
After finding a suitable house, make a contract. You have to make a contract at the authorized real estate office. This contract can protect you from bad circumstances. When you make a contract, you usually give the house owner 10% of the rental fee. You give the remaining fee after moving into the house. When you make a contract at the real estate office, you have to pay the real estate personnel some amount of money.
Receiving a date of approval
이After moving, go to a district office and report the moving and receive a stamp of the date of approval on your contract. This method is implemented by the Korean government, so that if bad circumstances arise, we can first get your rental fee back.
Important Notice
The period of contract for lease is usually two years. The period of contract for monthly rental plus deposit is usually several months or two years. The period of contract should be discussed with the owner. The house payment is usually paid in advance. When you make a contract for lease, you have to check the registration record copy of the contractor and owner to see if they are identical, as well as whether or not the building and land are under mortgage.

Overseas study application wizard

You can use the wizard to conveniently apply for overseas study step by step.

Start Now >>


Search Univ. & College

Search by region

map Gangwon-do Seoul Incheon Gyeonggi-do Sejong Chungcheongbuk-do Chungcheongnam-do Gyeongsangbuk-do Daejeon Jeollabuk-do Daegu Ulsan Busan Gyengsangnam-do Gwangju Jeollanam-do Jeju Island