Home > University & College information > Korean Language Center > Programs


Description of a Korean language program:

Korean language programs are designed for a variety of student needs: Some want to enroll later in a college or graduate school in Korea, while others are interested in doing business in the country or getting a job. Indeed, foreigners and overseas Koreans have a variety of reasons for wanting to speak fluent Korean. Thanks to the diversity of the classes, students can learn much about other cultures. After graduation, some even get jobs in a Korean or foreign company. The regular program consists of two courses: 6-level and 8-level. The 6-level course takes about 1.5 years to complete, while the 8-level course takes about 2 years. The 8-level course is appropriate for foreign students who are completely unfamiliar with Korean as it is focused on speaking and communicative activities. Both courses use the same textbook but the pedagogy differs. In the 6-level course, there are 10 lessons per level; while in the 8-level one, students learn 8 lessons per level. That way, students who have never learned Korean or are unfamiliar with Korean grammar and structures can concentrate on speaking and listening (with less workload and grammar focus) in the 8-level course. Semesters last 10 weeks (200 hours) with classes Monday through Friday from 9 am to 1 pm. Grading is based on exams for 80% (midterm exam 40% + final exam 40%: speaking 25%, listening 25%, reading 25%, writing 25%) and 20% for general points (participation, understanding, pronunciation, intonation).

◆ Schedule (2009)

※ for more information, check the websites of each school.

Eligibility: High school or higher educational attainment


(1) Application form (with photo attached)
(2) Highest educational degree or transcript
(3) 1 copy of passport
(4) Additional papers required for visa (D-4) applicants: 1 copy each of financial certification and notarized identification certificate

Application process

Submit application (by mail or walk-in)? Examination of application? Result notification? Payment of tuition ? Admission letter ? Visa application

Visa information

(1) Short-term visitors (C-3) Visitors can apply for a C-3 visa (also called a tourist visa) through a Korean consulate overseas. Students planning to study Korean for just one semester or those who don’t have the time to get a D-4 visa can get a C-3 and stay in Korea for up to 90 days. After one semester, students can register for the next term and get a certificate of school enrollment in order to apply for an extended stay. However, please note that C-3 visas are not issued to students of Chinese nationality. All Chinese students wanting language training are required to get a D-4 visa.

(2) General trainees (D-4) This type of student visa is intended for a 6-month language-training program. You can apply for a D-4 through a Korean Embassy overseas. A certificate of school enrollment and a notarized letter of personal reference by a Korean national guaranteeing the identity of the visitor are required. In general, it may take up to a month to get a visa. For extended studies, students must enroll in a Korean language program to obtain a certificate of enrollment. ※ D-4 visa application process for Chinese nationals Chinese students are required to obtain a D-4 (6-month) visa since C-3 visas (90-day visas) are not issued to them. Students must submit their application to a school, after which the school will examine the documents and send an admission letter to successful applicants. The student’s sponsor must bring the admission letter and other required papers (e.g. degree and financial certificate) to the Korea Immigration Office to apply for a visa on behalf of the student. The immigration office will examine the papers of the prospective student submitted by the sponsor, and then issue a certificate for confirmation of visa issuance. It takes on average 3 to 4 weeks to obtain a visa certificate. After the certificate is issued, the sponsor must notify the student (in China) of the visa certificate number. Then, the student must visit a Korean Consulate in China to get the visa.

(3) Letter of personal reference A letter of personal reference is required to apply for a student visa. The student’s sponsor in Korea must prepare such a letter of personal reference, have it notarized in a law office or notary office and submit it along with the visa application. The sponsor must be a Korean national residing and working in Korea.

Overseas study application wizard

You can use the wizard to conveniently apply for overseas study step by step.

Start Now >>


Search Univ. & College

Search by region

map Gangwon-do Seoul Incheon Gyeonggi-do Sejong Chungcheongbuk-do Chungcheongnam-do Gyeongsangbuk-do Daejeon Jeollabuk-do Daegu Ulsan Busan Gyengsangnam-do Gwangju Jeollanam-do Jeju Island