Studying in Korea

홈으로 이동> Studying in Korea > Study in Korea FAQ > Studying in Korea

Studying in Korea

1. I want to study in Korea.
For general admission to Korean universities, a Korean language proficiency certificate is required, TOPIK(Test of Proficiency in Korean) level 3 (intermediate level) or above is required for admittance, except for at English exclusive schools. For details of TOPIK, please visit the official website.(

If you are looking for a certain field of study or a university, you may visit our website to search thought following steps; - University & College - University & College to search Korean universities with various options (regions, major study, dormitory, English exclusive lectures, scholarships, etc.) and then ask about admission for international students directly to that university, since each university has different admission standards and requirements.

The general admission period for Korean universities for Spring is between September to November, and for Fall, it is between May to June. The exact application period may start at different times depending on universities, thus it is important to check application schedules and deadlines in advance.
2. I want to learn Korean language.
The Korean language course usually has 4 semesters and it starts every 3 months (or 10 weeks) and is also available for short-term course (vacation periods, 3 weeks, 6 weeks). Tuition per semester costs about US$1,200~$1,500; however it depends on each language institution, thus you need to contact the language institution directly.
You can search for Korean language institutions offered by each university by visiting the following link
The tuition and living costs are different by each institution and you can choose your language institution based on your preference. The language course contains a program through which students can experience the diverse Korean culture. You can also ask for information about admission directly to the staff in the admission office for international students in your desired language institution.
3. How can I register for the TOPIK?
The Test of Proficiency in Korean(TOPIK) is held six times a year (in January, March, April, July, October and November) and the yearly test schedule is posted on the TOPIK website at the beginning of every year. The levels are divided into I and II: beginner level for TOPIK I (Levels 1 and 2), advanced level for TOPIK II (Levels 3, 4, 5 and 6). For more information about the test, please refer to the TOPIK website.You can register through the official website and also contact the TOPIK department to ask for assistance.
- Website:
- Contact number: +82-2-3668-1331
4. Can I transfer to a Korean university?
If you are applying as a transfer student, you should contact the desired university directly, since each university has different admission standards and requirements. Generally,- transfer applicants must meet one of the following nationality/academic requirements below

a. Both the applicant and the applicant’s parents are of non-Korean nationality. The applicant must have completed regular secondary education and at least two full academic years (four semesters) in a degree program at a regular four-year university or in an equivalent bachelor’s degree program. Transfer students will be admitted as junior (third-year) students.

b. An applicant of non-Korean nationality who has completed regular primary and secondary education and at least two full academic years (four semesters) in a degree program at a regular four-year university or in an equivalent bachelor’s degree program outside of Korea. Transfer students will be admitted as junior (third-year) students (non-Korean applicants with Korean parent(s)).
※ In the case of two or three-year colleges, only those applicants who have graduated (or are expected to graduate) from a regular school curriculum can apply to transfer.
5. I would like to know universities that teach in English.
You may visit our website to search for English exclusive schools by following these steps; - University & College - Search University & College In the "English exclusive lectures" field, select "Yes" and then "Search". A list of universities with English exclusive courses will appear. Review the list and contact the desired university directly to request further information onf admission for international students, since each university has different admission standards and requirements.
6. I would like to know about student visas in Korea.
i) Student visa (D-2)
A foreigner who desires to receive a regular course of education (undergraduate, graduate, Ph.D.) or to research in a specific area at a two-year college, university, or graduate school (including evening graduate school), established by the Higher Education Act, or at an academic research institute established and regulated by the Special Act (must be higher education than a two-year college).
ii) Korean-Language Trainee (D-4-1)
Anyone wants to enroll in a regular Korean language study program (only regular daytime courses) at a language school at the university level.
※ For further information, please contact Korea Immigration Service directly.
- Website:
- Contact: 1345 without the area code
7. Can I receive counselling in a language other than Korean?
The Student Service Center of NIIED provides counselling service for international students in 7 different languages.
English, Korean: Monday~Friday 9:00~18:00,
Chinese, Korean: Monday~Friday 9:00~18:00,
Vietnamese: Monday 13:00~18:00,
French: Friday 13:00~18:00,
Russian: Tuesday 13:00~18:00,
Mongolian: Thursday 13:00~18:00,
8. I want to get a job in Korea.
Please visit our website and check the “Careers in Korea” section. ( - Careers in Korea - Job Openings)
The Job Fair for International Students is held annually in Korea co-organized by NIIED and KOTRA. Please visit the website to check detailed information of the fair. ( You may also visit the website “ContactKorea” to check job opportunities. (