This program began as a follow-up project to “New Partnership for the 21st Century,” which was mutually agreed upon by Korea and Japan in October of 1998. The initial period lasted for 10 years, and the 2nd period was then extended for another 10 years through a second agreement between Korean and Japanese leaders in December of 2008.
To foster excellent human resources in natural sciences and engineering, particularly those who have acquired high-tech capabilities, in order to establish a forward-looking relationship through the improvement of Korea-Japan relations
Undergraduate course in the Natural Sciences and Engineering departments of Japan's national universities.
5 years (Preliminary education: 1 year, undergraduate courses: 4 years)
About 100 persons annually
Requirements for application
- Applicants must have a high-school diploma or the equivalent, be less than 19 years of age on March 1st of the selection year.
- Applicants must be recommended by their school principals or superintendents of education in their district/city/province.
Details of scholarship
- Includes preliminary education course expenses, admission fee, tuition fee, living expenses, airfare, etc.
Submission of application → Recommendation by school principal → Recommendation screening by city/province → Recommendation of students to sit written examination by city/province
Announcement of a ion plan (April) → Recommendation by superintendent of education in city/province (June) → Written examination (August) → Interview (August) → Final announcement (November)
Features of this program
- Equal payment of the budget required for Korea-Japan joint project
- Program for studying abroad at government expense that is available to applicants with only a domestic high-school diploma
- Full support of school expenses and all expenses required for studying in the department of natural sciences/engineering at one of Japan's national universities
☞ Requirements regarding applications, details of applications, schedules, etc. can change through mutual agreement between Korea and Japan.